Eligibility and Frequency
Not everyone is eligible for the asymptomatic testing program, and asymptomatic testing is not available on a one-time or ad hoc basis. Individuals must meet eligibility criteria and be officially included in the testing protocol list to take part.
For symptomatic testing (if you have symptoms of COVID and need a test), please visit the UHS website for your options.
As of Monday, April 5, if you are no longer able to log in and scan a kit through the web app, please email COVIDTests@princeton.edu to make sure your status is updated and correct. If you can register your test kit, you are officially part of the testing program.
These requirements are current for summer 2021, beginning May 17. We are reviewing new guidelines from both state and federal public health authorities, and will notify campus community members if testing frequency or requirements change based on this guidance.
Those that have already received a COVID-19 vaccine are still expected to participate in both the asymptomatic testing protocol as well as completing the Daily Symptom Check on the days they are on campus.
Undergraduate students will submit tests based on which residential college they were assigned to when starting at Princeton (regardless of where they are currently living). For days of the week that samples are due from undergraduates, check out the table on our Dropping Off Your Sample page.
|Graduate Students||Graduate Dependents||Faculty/Staff/Researchers|
Eligible if at least one of these criteria are met
|Frequency of Testing||Required twice weekly||
Required twice weekly
|Required twice weekly||Required once weekly (twice a week for health-care workers, Campus Dining, and Department of Public Safety patrol staff who have not been vaccinated)|
* New Graduate College, Old Graduate College and any of the annexes (11, 15, 16 and 24 Dickinson Street, 35 and 45 University Place, 31 Edwards Place, and any residential college).
How to Request Eligibility
If you believe you should be eligible for testing based on the criteria above but are unable to register a test kit through the web app, please see directions below. After you have made your request, wait until you receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org before taking part in testing. This process may take 7-10 days from time of request to the time of receiving your welcome email.
If you have been taking part in testing but believe you no longer meet the eligibility requirements, you can request removal through the same contacts below.
- Undergraduate students: email your Director of Student Life
- Graduate students: email Associate Dean Lisa Schreyer at email@example.com
- Graduate dependents over the age of 18 living in congregate housing: email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Faculty, staff, researchers, and affiliates: email your departmental manager or supervisor to ensure that your name is included in your department’s Resumption of Operations Plan, or alternately, if your name should be removed from your department’s plan if you no longer meet eligibility criteria. Updates to departmental Resumption of Operations Plans can be sent to the Office of the Executive Vice President by email at email@example.com. Once your request has been approved, it will be communicated to the UHS COVID Testing Team, and you will receive a "welcome to the testing protocol" email from firstname.lastname@example.org. This process usually takes 7-10 days.
Here are some examples of situations where testing would and would not be required.
YES, testing needed on the weeks on campus:
- On campus twice a week for a few hours, interacting with others.
- On campus for Community Advocate shifts twice a month.
- On campus once a month for a few days at a time.
NO, testing not required:
- On campus to pick up items from the office.
- On campus a few times a week when there is no one else around.
- On campus once a week, but in a private office with no personal interactions.
If you are not sure, participate in the asymptomatic testing program. If you are on campus regularly but believe you should not be in the program, email email@example.com to request exemption.