Safe Practices

How do we stay safe at Princeton during the COVID-19 pandemic? This section gives guidance on best practices and resources to help us all protect ourselves and each other.

Face Coverings

The current policy requiring all members of the campus community, whether fully vaccinated or not, to wear face coverings indoors will continue until further notice. Exceptions to this requirement include working alone in a room or cubicle or when actively eating or drinking. The indoor face covering requirement will be evaluated weekly by a team of physicians and scientists. Face coverings are not required outdoors, regardless of vaccination status.

Environmental Health and Safety has updated their mask guidance to align with recommendations from the CDC about the relative protectiveness of different types of masks, including well-constructed cloth masks, layered cloth and disposable masks, or KN95 or KF94 masks.

Departments are expected to provide personal protective equipment and supplies for their faculty and staff in accordance with EHS recommendations. Prioritization should go to the support of in-person teaching. Departments may order KN95 masks through EHS at cost, which is .53 per mask, using the COVID-19 PPE and Supply Request Form. KN95 masks are found under the category “Eye and Face.”

Please see the University Guidance on Face Coverings and Guidance on Choosing and Wearing a Mask for additional information. EHS has also published a Hierarchy of Protectiveness of Masks graphic, as well as Face Covering FAQs

KN95 Mask Distribution for Students

EHS is supplying KN95s to students newly-arrived back for the spring semester at various locations. Up to 10 per person. Students cannot pick up masks for another person. Must show valid student ID.
Residential College offices: 11 am to 4 pm
Graduate College Porter’s Lounge: 11 am to 4 pm
Lakeside Apartment Main Office: business hours

Teaching and Classroom Practices

Updated guidance on teaching and classroom practices related to face coverings is summarized in the Supplemental Guidance on Face Coverings.

Aerosol-Generating Performing Arts Activities

Specific guidelines are outlined on the EHS website for singing and playing wind instruments, including specialized masks and filtering bell covers.

Social Distancing

Social distancing is no longer required indoors or outdoors. The occupancy limits imposed for public health purposes are no longer needed.

Gatherings, Meetings and Events

During January 2022, only visits that are essential, those that cannot be accomplished remotely or postponed until February, should be approved by the department head. See the gatherings guidelines for temporary requirements for student social events.

University staff, students or faculty can host indoor and outdoor gatherings and events of any size on or off campus. Princeton University-sponsored events and gatherings held indoors must be set up in accordance with these updated guidelines and the University’s Visitor Policy.

Those who organize events are responsible for:

  • Ensuring that all attendees are aware of necessary public health guidance, including use of face coverings.
  • Maintaining a list of attendees for 2 weeks after the event.
  • Providing a means for event attendees and guest speakers who are not current faculty, staff or students to attest to being fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
  • Developing a plan for building access when hosting events.

University-sponsored gatherings, conferences and events are expected to follow the Gatherings and Events Guidelines and should be scheduled through the EMS web app for reservable spaces.

The University staff, students and/or faculty who sponsor/host these events are responsible for communicating the parameters above to event participants.  

Guidance for visitors to campus

Academic, administrative and residential buildings will remain accessible to faculty, staff and students by card access only.

The category of “approved visitors” has been expanded to include prospective undergraduate students and their families on outdoor tours; media and film crews that have been pre-approved by the Office of Communications to enter campus buildings; prospective graduate students who have received approval from the Graduate School; and prospective faculty, postdoctoral fellows and staff who have received approval from the administrative department head of the University employee sponsoring the visitor.

Faculty and staff who wish to sponsor a visitor not included in the above should submit to their department or office head a completed Sponsored Visitor Request Form, which can be downloaded from the Resources section at top right of the Visitor Policy page of the EHS website.

For more information about visitors and for answers to other frequently asked questions, please visit Environmental Health and Safety’s website.